Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate - I've read better books from the same genre


 My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (3/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Fallen (Fallen #1)
Norwegian Title: There is no Norwegian Edition
Written by: Lauren Kate
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Written for: YA
Pages: 452
Publisher:
Doubleday
Published: December 8, 2009
Published in Norway: -
My copy: December 17, 2009 (Paperback)
Norwegian Publisher: -

I read it: September 23 - September 25, 2011
Source:
Bought

 Back of the Book

SOME ANGELS ARE DESTINED TO FALL.
Instant. Intense. Weirdly familiar …
The moment Luce looks at Daniel
she knows she has never felt like this before.
Except she can’t shake the feeling that
she has … and with him – a boy she doesn’t
remember ever setting eyes on.

Will her attempt to find out why
enlighten her – or destroy her?

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic,
FALLEN is a thrilling story about forbidden love.

‘Dark and romantic, an absolute
blinder of a book’ Sun



What are the dark shadows?


Ever since Luce was a little girl, she has been seeing shadows no one else could see. She constantly described these shadows (that sometimes made sounds) to her parents, who couldn't see or hear them, so they got worried about their daughter. They've taken her to eye doctor, ear doctor and even to a psychologist. 

As she grows older her parents sends her to a school where she lives with 80 students. She doesn't get to use her cell phone. She has to hand it in. To call she must use a phone at school only once a week. The school is in the middle of nowhere, so,  Luce is not sure if she ever will feel at home there. But as she tries to get used to it, away from her parents without a cell phone nearby she tries to get used to it by fit in at the new school and do what she is told to do, she discovers Daniel. For some reason she feels like she already knows him.

This book is pretty fat and fat books doesn't scare me and it has a lovely and mysterious cover. Even though I have read and heard mixed reviews about Fallen, I just had to read it to check it out myself. I was really looking forward to read it 'cause it seemed interesting, but as I was reading I felt like the story was just dragging on. I was struggling to get into it and I know this is the first book in a series but still a first book has to be catchy and interesting. It got a bit entertaining eventually but Luce was so annoying! We know that she is going through a hard time and trying to fit in at a new place and all that but still I think she was way too whiny. And to be honest I didn't care much about the other characters either. I just couldn't care about what happened to them.

I really wanted to like this book 'cause the cover and the synopsis made me really curious and I was like I said earlier, really looking forward to read it. But ... even though I did like some parts of the book, I felt like I couldn't get into the story or I didn't care much about it. And I think maybe reading about love triangles  isn't something for me. It wasn't realistic or exciting. It was like eating a boring soup. I like both urban fantasy and paranormal romance but love triangle stories I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of. I don't know why. Too complicated to explain, I guess.

To me Fallen was a big disappointment. Like I said, I really wanted to like it and I do like it a little bit but I didn't really get into it. A fat book like that should have more excitement but instead the pages were filled with a lot of waiting and frustration. So, Fallen wasn't a big happening to me. I probably will read the next book, Torment but I won't decide it now. I just didn't get overwhelmed. Sorry.

Highlights: Beautiful cover and some parts in the book was thrilling.

Downhill: Luce was too whiny and I think I was expecting more from the story. I just don't know what.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)