Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers - church bells is a lovely sound but it's annoying to read about it!


My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (2/10 Skulls)

Original Title: The Nine Tailors
Norwegian Title: Dødsklokkene
Written by: Dorothy L. Sayers
Genre: crime, suspense
Written for: Adult
Pages: 334
Publisher:
Victor Gollancz Ltd
Published: 1934
Published in Norway: 2005
My copy: 2005 (Paperback)
Norwegian Publisher:
Se og hør forlag
I read it: June 27 - June 30, 2011
Source:
From my own personal "library"

(Goodreads)

Nine tellerstrokes from the belfry of an ancient country church toll the death of an unknown man and call the famous Lord Peter Wimsey to one of his most brilliant cases, set in the atmosphere of a quiet parish in the strange, flat, fen-country of East Anglia.


On New Years Eve, Lord Peter Wimsey gets in a little car accident during a snowstorm and ends up in a village where church bells are very important for the people who lives there.Since his car is stuck, Wimsey is offered to stay at the priest's home and he hears that the flu is dominating the village and that one of his bell ringers are sick. Wimsey offers to help out. They are gonna play a certain melody all night on New Years Eve, an old tradition to greet the new year. Mysteries comes along the way when a body is discovered in someoneelses grave. Who is that man and how did he end up there? Wimsey can't hold back when it comes to murder cases and wants to find out what has happened.

I love old crime, books and crime shows on TV. It's something charming about it. And I remember I read a lot of that genre when I was younger. Old crime novels, and Stephen King books was something I read most of, and of course, the Goosebumps series!

Mostly I've read crime novels based from and between the world wars by male authors, but when it comes to women who writes in the same genre, I have to admit that I prefer Agatha Christie. Not everything she has written has been all that great but most of them. And then there were none is a classic which I really love. It's my fave of her. And I also like Hallowe'en party a lot. But I've never read anything by Sayers before. I hadn't even heard about her before I suddenly discovered this book a few years ago and bought it, But for some reason I haven't read it before now. It's typical me sometimes that I buy books and some books waits on my shelf in years before I  actually read them. The main problem is that I buy too many books but of course I try to read all of the books I get.

After being in the fantasy world (I've been reading the first book of  House of Night before I read this book) it was good to be back in the world of crime again. People gets killed in fantasy books too but it's even better when it happens in crime novels. I may sound pretty sick but it's fiction and crime novels is a genre I've always turned back to and I always wait for something bad to happen when I read them. (Maybe that's why I read many Stephen King books. I always read many, or try to read many books by him every year). I love horror and crime. But ... enough about that.

I had been looking forward to read this book. The title sounded cool. And I love reading crime novels 'cause then I can play a detective myself and see if I'm right or not while I read. It's a concept I never get tired of.

On front of the cover it says: one of the greatest crime novels. Uhm ... I'm certainly not agree! Old or modern crime novels must be exciting,captivating, fun, have great characters and good point(s). But me as reader I didn't think the book didn't have any of that. The experience got really dull and boring. Instead of feeling satisfied I was just happy to be done with the book. It was too slow for my taste. It was actually a bit exciting to read a little about church bells ringing but during the book it got a bit boring and annoying. I almost died of boredom reading about it. At first the book was interesting but most of the time I had to struggle through it and that's not a good sign when you're suppose to enjoy a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)