Saturday, October 15, 2011

It had to be you by Stephanie Doyon - fun and charming "feel-good" read

 
  My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (6/10 Skulls)

Original Title: It had to be you
Norwegian Title: Den eneste rette
Written by: Stephanie Doyon
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Written for: YA
Pages: 151
Publisher:
Bantam Books for Young Readers
Published: June 1, 1996
Published in Norway: Not sure when it was published here for the first time
My copy: 1999 (Hardcover)
Norwegian Publisher:
Stabenfeldt AS
I read it: September 28 - September 29, 2011
Source:
Bought

(Goodreads)

Rebecca Lowe's in love. The only problem is, she's never even met the guy--or has she? After weeks of exchanging love letters by computer, Rebecca's finally going to have a face-to-face date with her cybercrush at the homecoming dance. But when she sees Jordan West--a boy that bugs Rebecca like none other--she doesn't know what to do.


Can you believe in real love?

Rebecca is a leader of a school band. She dreams about playing at cool places with her band to promote them and get noticed. But how are they gonna do it? Even though her best friend, Leslie, isn't a member of the band they hang out almost all the time. They are both curious about the Internet and mail thing 'cause this book takes place when that stuff was kind of new. They only have access to Internet at school but they finally get to use the Internet for real when Leslie's mom gets a computer with Internet access. Now they can chat and stuff with people from all over the world.

But before using the computer that belongs to Leslie's mom. Rebecca and Leslie has been playing with the Internet at school. There they have posted anonymous stuff that only people at their school can see. For fun, they both have anonymously been posting each others "seeking for love" notes. Will anyone answer them back with mail and if they do, who would that be?

Rebecca receives a mail from Carlos sometime later. Who is he and is he only playing a game with her? Or is he interested in her for real and why?

After writing mail to each other they talk about meeting at the prom to reveal each other. Somehow Rebecca is pretty sure that it's the new student from Spain, Antonio, who hides behind the name, Carlos, but can she be really sure? She has to wait and find it out at the prom.

This book has been standing on my shelf in many years. I got it through a book club I was joining when I was younger but I never read it 'cause I didn't like these sorts of books when I was younger. I was more of a horror and crime novel fan (which I still am). But lately through the years I've been better with trying to read from different genres.

I'm not a fan of "feel-good" books but it's okay to read them sometimes. This was actually a fun and warm read. I loved almost all the characters and I loved Rebecca's sarcastic humour. Her best friend, Leslie is warm and a bit too naive. Jordan is charming. I like the dialog between him and Rebecca. Esp when they are disagree with each other when it comes to the band. More person's are worth to mention but then I will never get done so I chose not to mention them.

It had to be you had many highlights. I got to know the characters a lot and I liked the way they developed. The story is fun and exciting. And there were many lines that made me smile and giggle. It was an easy and nice read. A cozy book. And it was fun and interesting to read a book that took place when Internet,mail and chatting was very new. A lot has changed since then.

The only thing that makes me wonder is the Norwegian cover. It doesn't feel right for the story. First of all the main characters in the book doesn't look like that and that since it doesn't have anything to do with the book at all. The image is too corny and doesn't say anything about the book at all. I can spoil by saying that scene isn't even in the story.

Highlights: Sarcastic lines between Rebecca and Jordan.

Downhill: The cover. It's embarrassing and like I said, it doesn't have anything to do with the book at all.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)