Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I'm not scared by Niccolò Ammaniti - haunting and gripping. A story I'll never forget.

Original Title: Io non ho paura
English Title:
I'm not scared
Norwegian Title: Jeg er ikke redd
Written by: Niccolò Ammaniti
Genre: Novel, Drama
Pages: 245
Published: 2001. My copy (2010)
Publisher: Not sure.
I read it: March 1th – March 5th (2011)

My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (10/10 Skulls)



Nine year old Michele is from a little hamlet in South - Italy and is growing up with a poor but a proud family. He loves to bicycle with his friends and his sister Maria, and they often race to the hills. One day they decide to run up one hill and the loser gets a challenges of the friends. On the top of the hill, they see an abandoned house and Michele who is coming up that hill last 'cause he has to help his sister who broke her glasses, must do the challenge and the challenge the friends give him is to go in that abandoned house and check it out. That house is dangerous to be in since it looks like it's gonna collapse in a any minute. Definitely not a playground. But Michele doesn't want to act like a chicken, so he takes the challenge and on his way out on the backside of that house, he discovers something shocking. He discovers something in a hole in the backyard of the house and decides not to tell anything about it to his friends 'cause he's not sure how to handle the situation yet so he decides not to mention it when he meets his friends again afterwards. He has to figure out what's going on and he's gonna do that on his own.


When he comes back home from that race up to the hill, he sees that his dad is home, which is not often since he's a truck driver and is gonna a lot. But this time Michele and Maria's dad is gonna be home for a while and while he is home, he discovers his dad is going away in several hours before he comes back again when he's supposed to be home. And Michele is sure that his dad has something to do with the discovery he made behind that old house he visited a few days ago. He's not sure what's going on - but he knows something is terrible wrong. Is he going to tell his parents about what he saw behind the abandoned house or is it best to shut up and pretend like nothing is going on?

I'm not scared is a book I read in few days 'cause it's very addicting and I just had to know how everything would turn out at the end. And it was exciting and special to see this kind of situation through the eyes of a child. I read this book in the beginning of March and is stilll staying with me. Michele's voice and thoughts is gonna stay with me forever.

That this book is compared to the movie The Blair Witch Project is a mystery to me 'cause I'm not scared and that movie is two different things. Trust me!

Read this book and get your mind blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)