Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman - interesting consept I want more of!

Original Title: Skeleton Creek
Norwegian Title: Skeleton Creek
Written by: Patrick Carman
Genre: mystery
Written for: YA
Pages: 235
Published: 2009
Published in Norway: 2010 (Hardcover)
My Copy: 2010 (Hardcover)
Publisher: Cappelen Damm (Norwegian Publisher)
I read it: Oct 15Th - Oct 20th 2010



My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (9/10 Skulls)


Ryan is staying in bed after an accident. His leg is broken and he needs to rest to make it heal again. The accident happened when he and Sarah were investigating something in the woods. They were investigating a mining dredge. The mining dredge got closed a long time ago and it's too dangerous to play around there 'cause it can collapse anytime. It's simply not safe to be there. But there is something about that dangerous place that makes Ryan and Sarah very curious. They are almost certain that some people from their home place Skeleton Creek knows but doesn't want to talk about it. They're keeping something from them and try to make them stay away from the mining dredge for a reason but why? Is it only because it's not a safe place to be or are they hiding something from them?
After Ryan's accident in the mining dredge where he broke his leg, his parents is begging him to stay away from Sarah, 'cause they think she only leads him in trouble. She's not a good friend who always leads Ryan into the one trouble after the other. But how can Ryan stay away from her? They are best friends. But his parents won't allow him to see or meet her again.

But to solve the mysterious case about the mining dredge, Ryan and Sarah has to stay in touch somehow without his parents to know. To stay in touch they send each other mails and videos on their computers. It's the only way they can communicate since Ryan can't go anywhere with his broken leg. He can't just sneak out. But will they solve the mystery about the place in the woods before they get caught?


I've always loved reading and mystery is a genre which has been close to my heart since I was just a kid. I loved books that involved detectives and I read Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, The Bobbsey Twins and similar detective books for kids. Later on as I got older, I started reading Agatha Christie and other similar writers. I've always loved detective novels. It's something I don't get tired of. It's just fascinating to guess and try to find out what's really going on who's the guilty ones before we get to know it and find out if I've guess right or not. It's fun!
Skeleton Creek is not one of these bloody detective novels, but very exciting anyway. Even though this is a book for young adult, I think it was exciting for my age as well. I had never heard of this book before I went in a book store and just looking at some book titles and not sure what to get. I didn't know exactly what I was looking for. Just hoping to find something interesting and Skeleton Creek grabbed my attention 'cause I love the title. It sounded scary and interesting at the same time. The concept too.
The book cover was just as interesting as the title. It sounded interesting with the combination of reading the book and watch videos on the net. I've never tried this concept before and I really liked it. You read a few pages, and there's a drawing with a link and a password you have to type in on sarahfinch.com. There you'll get some clues or get to know what Sarah is showing us things she has taped. And it will help us to maybe solve some of the mysteries. I think it was a lot of fun 'cause it makes you feel like you are the main character Ryan. Ryan who is getting these passwords and watching the videos of his friends. And together you guys are trying to find out what's really going on in Skeleton Creek. I was always looking forward to get a new password and watch the videos. And I love the website sarahfinch.com where we're suppose to write in the password. Cause the design reminds me of the great computer games from the 90s. The same kind of atmosphere.

Even though the story itself is not that original and sometimes could guess what was going to happen next I enjoyed this book a lot. I think this kind of concept will make more young adults read more or even get them into reading. 'Cause this book makes you feel like you are in the mystery. Skeleton Creek is a must read if you're into mystery and detective novels! I'm relieved to know that there will be more books from Skeleton Creek and I'm currently enjoying the second book: Ghost in the machine!









Skeleton Creek (Book trailer)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)