Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ghost in the machine (Skeleton Creek #2) by Patrick Carman - I still love the concept and the mysteries in Skeleton Creek!


My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (8/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Ghost in the Machine (Skeleton Creek #2)
Norwegian Title: Ånden i maskinen
Written by: Patrick Carman
Genre: mystery, conspiracy
Written for: Ya
Pages: 247
Publisher:
Scholastic Press
Published: October 1, 2009
Published in Norway: 2011 
My copy: 2011 (Hardcover)
Norwegian Publisher: Cappelen Damm
I read it: April 12 - April 18, 2011
Source: Bought
Challenge(s): 100 Books in a Year

(Goodreads)

Strange things are happening in Skeleton Creek...and Ryan and Sarah are trying to find out why. Ryan writes down everything in his journal, and Sarah records everything on her videocam. The two move deeper into the mystery they've uncovered, determined to discover the secrets buried in Skeleton Creek, in the conclusion to Patrick Carman's thrilling series. 


In this groundbreaking format, the story is broken into two parts -- Ryan's text in the book, and Sarah's videos on a special website, with links and passwords given throughout the book.


What are some people in Skeleton Creek hiding from Ryan and Sarah?

In this sequel to Skeleton Creek we once again meet the best friends Ryan and Sarah who still isn't allowed to meet each other. After Ryan has broken his leg, his parents thinks that Sarah only leads him in trouble and they don't want to him to see her again. It's for his own good. To make sure that Ryan doesn't meet her, they often check his computer and his cell phone but they don't know that Ryan is way ahead of them when it comes to technology and knows how to fool his parents when they are checking his stuff. He has his ways to delete Sarah's mails and videos without them to find out. It's easy to fool them.
Ryan and Sarah communicate with us, the readers by Ryan sharing his diary with us and Sarah by showing us videos about the places she has been and sharing her thoughts about things she discovers. As we read Ryan's journal, there are pages with illustration and a password. Each time we get this password we have to go to sarahfincher.com and enter the password to watch the next video. There we see Sarah and sometimes other people but mostly Sarah who discusses about what she has found out or showing us clips about the places she has been.

What they are really interested in is the mining dredge which is outside their hometown in the woods. Something odd is going on their and there is a rumour about that place is haunted by old Joe Bush who died in an accident there many years ago. But it's not just in the mining dredge strange things happens but also in their home town Skeleton Creek. Among the things is the sign of a crow which is hanging above the front door at the library. The crow changes direction from time to time. Ryan and Sarah is sure it must mean something. They're sure 'cause they found some clues about it earlier.
In all the mysteries that are going on in Skeleton Creek and the mining dredge, Ryan find it hard to trust his parents. Because he and Sarah has found out there is a secret society in their home town and Ryan believes that his parents are members of it, or he thinks maybe his dad is a member of it, but hes not sure. He just feels he must be aware of him for some reason.

What exactly is going on in Skeleton Creek and what are the members of the secret society called Crossbones is trying to hide?

I've been waiting for this book since October when I finished the last one and I came across this book one day at the book store. I didn't even know there was already a sequel so I got very happy and just had to have it. I couldn't wait to read it 'cause I love the combination of reading the books and watch videos along the way. I think it's a refreshing concept that many young adult readers will love. I'm absolutely sure of it.

The story itself is not that original but I was still happy with the sequel. It's still exciting and grabs my attention. I was enjoying it very much and I'm glad to know that there's a third book too 'cause I thought the ending made me really curious and I really want to know what's gonna happen next.

Even though I'm maybe "too old" to read this book I just must admit that I look forward to find out about all the mysteries in Skeleton Creek!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)