Friday, June 24, 2011

House of Night "Marked" by P.C. and Kristin Cast - good start for a refreshing vampire series


My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (8/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Marked (House of Night #1)
Norwegian Title: Merket
Written by: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: fantasy/vampires
Written for: YA
Pages: 348
Publisher: Atom Books

Published: 2007
Published in Norway: 2010
My copy: 2009
Norwegian Publisher:
Cappelen Damm
I read it: June 17 - June 21, 2011
Source:
Bought

Back of the book

So the bad news was that I’d have to move into the House of Night, a private boarding school, known by all my friends as the vampyre finishing school, where I would spend the next four years going through bizarre and unnamerable physical changes, as well as a total and permanent life shake-up. And that’s only if the whole process didn’t kill me.

But the good news was that I wouldn’t have to take the geometry test tomorrow.

When sixteen-year-old Zoey is marked by the Tracker, she knows her old life is over. Now she has to leave her friends and family to join the House of Night school, where there’s only one subject Zoey needs to study. Vampyre 101.

Of course, there’s always a catch, and this one’s nice and simple: if you fail, you die …

Praise for the House of Night Series

‘Totally un-put-downable’ Sugar

‘Fast paced, funny and exciting’ Trashionista

‘Well-written, entertaining and has an exciting,
original take on the Vampire genre’ GirlieGossip.com


Changes can be though. Especially when it depends on your own life …

Zoey is an ordinary High School girl. She’s 16 and one day, all of the sudden, she get marked by a Tracker at school. She gets this mark on her forehead and everyone knows what that means. She will slowly turn into a vampire. That means she has to leave both family and friends, and has to start at a school called House of Night. A place everyone knows of. Zoey must spend four years there to be a real vampire, but if her body rejects or don’t accept the changes, she will die for real. As soon as she comes to House of Night, she notices that everyone there is very curious about her. ‘Cause her mark is a bit different than their own. Why?


Numbers of times I’ve been in the book stores and chosen other series and other books than House of Night. ‘Cause each time I just thought …meh …it’s probably not for me and got other books instead. The reason is the book covers. I’ve always thought it was probably just series about vampires who constantly thought about sex and only talked about it too. But then I’m also curious about all these YA – vampire/fantasy genre. It’s gotten so popular. Almost everyone reads YA fantasy these days. It’s sort of a phenomenon. And I just get curious about all these series that keep coming. I want to know what people are talking about. 

Even though the covers is a turn – off (a bit tired of beautiful girls on almost every vampire/fantasy books. It would be nice with something new!), I took the chance to try the first book. Just to see how I would like it before I eventually get more books of the series. I’m always skeptical when I try new series … The way this book was written didn’t impress me much. It felt like it was a school essay or something (you know what I mean?). But Stephenie Meyers Twilight was worse than a school essay and I hated her visions of so-called vampires. And even though House of Night is just a little better written, I also thought it has a better story, character and vampire myth. It’s something refreshing about this series. I liked to read how they become a vampire. They get a mark on their forehead instead of getting sucked on their necks (still I like that old version better, sucking blood and dies in the sun), I still like the old fashion vampires better than the moderns. But it’s okay to read about modern vampires (as long as they don’t sparkle in the sun!), 

It is okay for me that a book isn’t all that very well written. Even it’s a bit childish written, I must admit that the story was very exciting and there were times that I was really struggling to put down the book. The few times I did it, it didn’t take a lot of time before I picked it up again and just had to continue reading. I wanted to know what would happen next even though some of the twists was easy to see before they happened. But I liked Zoey and her sarcasm very good. She makes some lame boobs and ass jokes but most of her thoughts are fun. She reminds me a lot of me when it comes to her thinking; the sarcasm and the negativity.

What I liked a lot about House of Night is that I had always thought that cats only was friends of the witches but in House of Night the cats are also friends of vampires. As a fan of cats I got very charmed by the relationship between Zoey and the cat named Nala.

House of Night series is created by mother and daughter team, which also made me sceptical about this series before I started reading it ’cause I thought it maybe was a cool thing only for them to do. Sort of a girls thing and that’s it. But I got very surprised in a positive way of how addicted of this book even though the writing didn’t impress me much. And although good writing is important it is also important that the book you read is entertaining. A book must entertain the reader and Marked really entertained me. The pages almost turned by themselves. And reading at night, I tried to put down the book but I couldn’t sleep ‘cause I wanted to read more and read several hours straight. ‘Cause I liked Zoey a lot and her new friends. While I was reading, I wished that there was a school like House of Night in real life. That would be exciting! And the next time I visit the book store I’m sure I’ll get book two and probably more books from this series!’Cause I want to know what’s gonna happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)