Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1) by Stephen King - why haven't I read this book sooner?!


 My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (10/10 Skulls)

Original Title: The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower #1)
Norwegian Title: Revolvermannen
Written by: Stephen King
Genre: fantasy, western, horror
Written for: Adult
Pages: 238
Publisher:
Nel
Published: 1982
Published in Norway: 2005
My copy: 2003 (Paperback)
Norwegian Publisher:
Cappelen Damm
I read it: August 20 - September, 02, 2011
Source: Bought

Back of the Book

Join the quest for the elusive Dark Tower

THE GUNSLINGER

This newly revised and expanded edition of The Gunslinger, for which Stephen King has written a special introduction and foreword, is the mesmerising first book in his spectacular, epic Dark Tower series.
In The Gunslinger, Stephen King introduces readers to one of his most enigmatic heroes, Roland of Gilead, the Last Gunslinger. He is a haunting figure, a loner, on a spellbinding journey into good and evil, in a desolate world which frightengingly echoes our own.
In his first step towards the powerful and mysterious Dark Tower, Roland encounters an alluring woman named Alice, begins a friendship with Jake, a kid from New York, and faces an agonising choice between damnation and salvation as he pursues the Man in Black.
Both grippingly realistic and eerily dreamlike, The Gunslinger leaves readers eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

And the tower is closer …

THE DARK TOWER

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is Stephen King’s most visionary piece of storytelling that may well be his crowning achievement.
Don’t miss the other books in Stephen King’s magnificent epic:
The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass and, coming soon, Wolves of Calla, Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower.


I admit it! How am I gonna explain this amazing book with only words? I'm gonna give it a try and excuse me if this review seems short and thin. I just don't want to give away any spoilers.

Roland is hunting for a mysterious man in black. Roland has been hunting after the man in black in many years and now he's closer than ever. But still he has a long walk to do to catch him up. 'Cause the desert is big and he has never been on the other side of it. The only signs after the man in black is the campfires he leaves behind. And on Roland's journey he meets a young boy named Jack. Jack has seen the man in black and is afraid of him. So he and Roland decides to stick together along the desert and on their way to The Dark Tower. Roland is looking for the man in black 'cause the man in black has this knowledge about The Dark Tower that Roland wants to know about.

This is a book that is very hard to explain. You must experience it yourself to find out how good it is, be a part of the atmosphere and the excitement. I haven't read a single book that I can compare with The Gunslinger. So that's why it's gonna be hard to review it. But first of all this is the very first western book I've ever read. It's not pure western. It's a mix of fantasy, western and horror. And since the story takes place in a desert it's easy to think of it as a western. And Roland makes me think of a young Clint Eastwood which I don't mind 'cause I'm a big fan of him.

And I want to end this review by saying that this is a magical start in a fantastic series. Now I really regret that I don't have the rest of the books!!! But the next time I'm in a bookstore I'm definitely gonna buy the 2-3 next books and see what happens next. I'm really excited to know how this series will be like after the first book. And I really like Roland! He might be a though guy but he's also a bit soft. I couldn't help but to like him.

Once again I apologize for this very bad, short review but like I said, this is a book that's very hard to explain and I'm afraid to give too much spoilers away. I don't want it to happen. Just read the book! That's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)