Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trapped by Chris Jordan - very cool cover and promising synopsis, but ...



My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (3/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Trapped
Norwegian Title: Innestengt
Written by: Chris Jordan
Genre: Thriller
Written for: Adult
Pages: 427
Publisher:
Mira
Published: 2007
Published in Norway: 2011 (I think...)
My copy: 2011 (Paperback)
Norwegian Publisher:
Forlaget Harlequin
I read it: August 27 - September, 4, 2011
Source: Bought
Challenge(s): 100 Books in a Year

(Goodreads)

"Mom, I need your help. Please call—" That's it. The call cuts off in midsentence. No static. Nothing.

Long Island single mom Jane Hartley is frantic when her sixteen-year-old daughter, Kelly, a survivor of childhood leukemia, disappears from her bedroom one night. To Jane's frustration, the police believe that Kelly ran off willingly with her boyfriend, Seth. Unaware that her daughter even had a boyfriend, Jane soon discovers that Seth is no boy. He is an adult—a man who, after meeting Kelly on the Internet, took the teenager on one thrill-seeking ride after another. From motorcycles to skydiving, Jane's little girl has been hiding some dangerous secrets.

Like mother, like daughter.

Adamant that Kelly is not a runaway but, rather, is being held against her will, Jane hires ex-FBI agent Randall Shane to follow the trail of her missing child. But every step brings them closer to a cold-blooded predator lurking in the shadows… coiled around Jane's shameful secret…waiting to strike.




Can you trust your own daughter?

Jane is a single mom to her 16 year old daughter. They have an open relationship. At least it's what she thinks... But one day when Jane is stuck in the traffic she sees a guy on a motorbike drive by with a girl and that girl looks very familiar. To her horror she realizes it's her own daughter, Kelly. Jane gets disappointed and worried 'cause her daughter has never told her anything about that guy. Her daughter survived cancer as a kid and that's why Jane thinks it's her right to know everything about her daughter and have an open relationship. Later the same evening Jane tries to talk with her daughter to find out who Kelly got a ride with. But instead Kelly stays in her room and the morning after the bedroom is empty. Kelly is gone. After a short and disturbing call from her daughter, Jane is sure that Kelly is in trouble. But who will believe her when the police only thinks she has run away with her boyfriend? But luckily a former FBI -agent, Randall Shane, believes her and together they try their best to find Kelly.

This is a thriller I've never heard of before but when I discovered the cover it made me really curious. The cover is pretty cool! And I hope the inside of the covers would be a cool read as well. But that was a bummer. The author is a man but to me the writing style sounds very femaleish (it's probably not even a word but I hope you know what I mean...). The book felt like a part of it was a journal and sometime wasn't. Kind of like a mix. And the book also gave this chick lit atmosphere that I'm not a fan of.

The plot itself wasn't very original either. I've read many similar stories before and it's easy to figure out what's gonna happen but I did like Randall Shane a lot. A big and warm guy who really cares about other people. I just wish he ended up in a better story than this one.

Trapped is a relaxing "thriller" to get through. I missed the intensity and the surprises that never showed up. And in big parts of the book it was very slow paced. But it's an okay read if you don't want anything advanced.  I'll probably gonna read more books by Chris Jordan even though I'm not impressed but it's not gonna happen right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)