Sunday, October 16, 2011

Abby, My Love by Hadley Irwin - a book about a hurtful and difficult subject

 
 My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (9/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Abby, My Love
Norwegian Title: Abby, min elskede
Written by: Hadley Irwin
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Written for: YA
Pages: 157
Publisher:
Margaret K Mcelderry Books
Published: 1985
Published in Norway: 1990
My copy: 1996 (Hardcover)
Norwegian Publisher:
Aschehoug
I read it: September 29
Source:
Bought

(Goodreads)

In love since junior high, Chip and Abby finally share Abby's secret: her father is sexually abusing her.


A book everyone should read.

Chip is a young guy who lives with his mom and he has crush on Abby who goes at the same school as him. To get to know Abby isn't the easiest thing in the world. She is smart but very modest. He only gets contact with her through her very outgoing little sister. But after a while Chip finally gets to know Abby a bit and they hang out time to time. They understand each other and join each other's company. But Abby is having a terrible dark secret. And how is her best friend Chip gonna handle it if he finds out about it?

I had completely forgotten about the book when I this summer went through the books that I have had since I was kid and in my youth. I have a room where I save all kinds of stuff, mostly books that I have been saving all my life. (I don't have the heart to throw them away). I was a member in many different book clubs over the years. That's one of the reasons I have a lot of books. And when I was cleaning those shelves I discovered this book and wanted to read it. I also discovered other books that I never had the chance to read but that I am gonna read now. So, I'm glad I went through the collection.


This is a young adult book that brings up a serious and sad subject. Unfortunately there are kids out there who is abused by someone they know really well. What they go through is something I don't want to know about. That's why it's important to write about subjects like this to wake us up and let us know that there is actually terrible things happening in this world. Gruesome stuff happens and what is worse than gruesome stuff happening in your own home where it's suppose to be safe? Can anyone let someone close again after going through such an awful thing? Who can you trust? It's just some of a lot of questions as a reader asks while reading such a book. And I got even more grateful for having a safe and good childhood myself. 'Cause everyone doesn't get the ability to have that.

Abby, My Love is an important and hurtful book that gives a lot of impression. The book is warm and sad. And it gives a different perspective about how important safety really is.

Highlights: The book brings up a subject that no one wants to talk about.

Downhill: I wish the book was thicker 'cause I liked Chip and Abby a lot.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)