Saturday, March 17, 2012

Anna dressed in blood by Kendare Blake - awesome title and cover but I was expecting more!


       My rate: (5/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Anna dressed in blood
Norwegian Title: -
Written by: Kendare Blake
Genre: Paranormal, Horror
Written for: Young Adult
Pages: 316
Publisher:
Don't remember
Published: 2011
Published in Norway: No Norwegian edition
My copy: 2011 (Hardcover)
Norwegian Publisher:
- 
I read it: November 30. - December 31, 2011
Source:
Gift (Thanks Penelope for sending it to me!:)


 Not all horrorbooks are frightening...


Cas is no ordinary guy. Still he is trying to live a normal life like everyone else even though he is carrying a big secret. He is a ghost killer (or whatever I should call him... His call in life is to kill violent ghosts. But that's easier said than done.


His biggest assignment yet is Anna. He and his mother moves to a new place. The town is known for the urban legend called Anna. About a girl who got murdered in a brutal way several years ago. According to the urban legend she is attached to an empty house and kills everyone who enters it. Cas wants to find a way to get rid of her - but how?

I was lucky to get this book in the mail by Penelope who I got in contact with on twitter. Thank you so much for the gift! It was very nice of you. I really wanted to read this book 'cause I'm a huge horrorfan. I love urban legends and ghost stories. That's why I really, really wanted to read it. And I had heard many promising stuff about this book and I got really high hopes before I started reading it. I was hoping it would give me a lot of scary moments. And the title and cover really made me curious as well!

But unfortunately the book didn't really get to me. I've read a lot of good young adult books lately. And with the thought of this was a horror book I was expecting a lot more. The attention and the scary stuff wasn't really there At least not all through the way. Which was to me a little dissapointing. Of course it had a few good and scary moments but it just didn't captivate me.

What I really liked about this book is that the main character was a guy instead of a girl. It was refreshing. And I really liked the ghost, Anna. She was kind of creepy and I sort of liked some of the atmosphere in the book. But still there was a lot of things I missed. I missed a lot more action and the intense creepy feelings. But all in all it was an okay book to read in boring moments - but I'm afraid it's a book that's easy to forget.

Booktrailer






3 comments:

  1. This YA ghost story is definitely marketed towards the older end of the YA market. It was a bit adult with some gratuitous cursing, and some rather grizzly violence but on the whole had a pretty exciting plot and a terrific central ghost story which the book is titled after. Blake definitely created a great premise. There were plenty of pop-culture references (though surprisingly none to the FOX show Supernatural which was rather surprising considering the similarities)and the 17-year-old ghost hunter male narrator was overall well constructed. Unfortunately, the female author didn't completely sell me on the male perspective, and the central romance fell a bit flat for me (though if you liked the Cristina Ricci version of Casper, maybe the romance would have a greater appeal). The writing too was a bit uneven, with a plethora of passive verbs slowing down the action. The ending is open enough that a sequel just may follow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)