Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard - a good start of a witty and mysterious book series!



 My Rate: ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠ (6/10 Skulls)

Original Title: Pretty little liars
Norwegian Title: Små, søte løgnere
Written by: Sara Shepard
Genre: Mystery, Suspense
Written for: YA
Pages: 286
Publisher:
Harper Teen
Published: 2006
Published in Norway: 2009
My copy: 2007, I think ... (Paperback)
Norwegian Publisher:
Gyldendal
I read it: July 12 - July 18, 2011
Source: From my own personal "library"

 Back of the book

EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING
TO HIDE – ESPECIALLY HIGH
SCHOOL JUNIORS SPENCER, ARIA, EMILY AND HANNA.

Spencer covets her sister’s boyfriend. Aria fantasizing about her English teacher. Emily’s crushing on the new girl at school. Hanna uses some ugly tricks to stay beautiful.
But they’ve all kept an even bigger secret since their friend Alison vanished.
How do I know? Because I know everything about about the bad girls they were, the naughty girls they are, and all the dirty secrets they’ve kept. And guess what? I’m telling.
- A


Are you telling me that you have nothing to hide? Well ... I don't believe you. I'm sure you have something, doing something or know something you don't want to share with anyone. But what?

There are many different lies. There are big, small, innocent and white lies. Why do we lie? 'Cause sometimes it's necessary. It's easy to lie to to get away from trouble or to protect someone from being hurt. Most of us has probably told some lies during life. It's not very nice but it's a very human thing to do.

The five girls; Spencer, Aria, Emily, Hanna and Alison is very good friends until something happens. Together they share a secret that will change each of their lives forever, and their lives turns dramatically upside down in just a few seconds when one of them, Alison, suddenly vanish. The vanishing is big news on TV and news papers. And the rest of the friends automatically split up and keep away from each other. Too much has changes and they also have their own personal secrets to take care of that must not come in spotlight. So, instead they move on with their own lives.

The only thing they get in common is messages on their cells and PCs which makes each one of them feel uneasy. The messages makes the girls feel observed by someone who always ends the messages with -A. The messages is not long, but enough to make them feel uneasy and sure of that someone is watching them all the time. But who is this A person? Is it really Alison who is supposed to be vanished but has faked her own disappearance just to scare her friends a bit or is it someone else behind? If so ... why?

I've been wanting to read this series for a very long time. For me, the television show has been more known than the books and after watching the first two episodes I decided to read the books instead and see the series on DVD later. Maybe have a Pretty Little Liars marathon. But what I saw of the series was really good and I had high hopes for the books. 'Cause the mysterious messages the girls get and the concept was something I really liked a lot. By reading the books I also got to know the characters more and my fave so far is Spencer. She's a clever girl who does it well at school and she knows what she wants and admits her own weakness. My least favorite is Hanna. I feel she gets too anonymous and she isn't not that interesting either. Maybe I'll like her more when I get to know her better? Who knows? We'll see ...

Pretty Little Liars didn't give me the really wow feeling I was hoping for. The beginning was a little slow and it took a little time before things started to happen. But from the middle of the book and towards the end, the pages were just flying away! And even though I knew how it would end I didn't get disappointed. It was a sort of an ending that was right for the book. It's witty and I really wanted to know what would happen next! I was nodding happily at the end and grinning satisfied. It just had to end that way and even though the ending wasn't that surprising, it was enough excitement to make me curious about the next book!

Desperate Housewives fans and readers who likes a good mystery will appreciate Pretty Little Liars. It's a lot of intrigues and uneasy situations along the way. And even though I got a little disappointed of the bit slow paced start in the first book, I'm still very curious about the next one and how the rest of the series will be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment:-)